Tuesday, March 08, 2011

Venting the Anger: buying a new car

So this past weekend I went out to buy a new car, well used. Let's face it with all of these budget cuts coming there is no way I am going to take on a car payment. My plan was simple, trade in my truck (Blue Book value from $14,500 to 18K) for something in the $12K to $13K range so that everything was covered, including tax, title, and license.

I saw a Mazda5 for $12K. Now a Mazda5 is not a big car, but the gas mileage is almost 10 mpg better than my truck, so I was like let's do it. I go in and tell the guy basically I want to switch out cars. I know mine is worth more than your Mazda5, I saw my Titan with more mile being sold for $18-$20K on lots near by, so I just want to switch cars.

Then he goes into car salesman mode. He brings out his "boss" who I explain the whole thing to again. He says he has to "run the numbers". He comes back with an offer of $8500 for my truck. I almost start laughing. I was so pissed I told him no way. So he does the classic, "ok just let me talk to my boss, I don't want to leave you with a sour taste in your mouth".

Comes back again and this time it was $9k. I told him no thanks, I didn't need his car. I started to get up and he said, "if it was a Chevy or Ford I could work with you, but Nissan doesn't have a good name for trucks or reliability." I was pissed didn't say a word and left.

He wanted to make so much money off of me. He would have made at least $9K off of re-selling my truck. And then I would have had to pay almost $4K for the Mazda5, including the tax, title, and license fee. B.S. If he would have switched cars he could have made about $4-$5K on re-selling my truck. He got greedy and lost a sale. And I will never go back there again. Worst part was I spent 2 hours there! A-holes!

1 comment:

Car Blogger said...

All right...
I'm also going to buy one new car soon.