Saturday, June 30, 2007

The Sun Always Shines on T.V.: Top T.V. shows for me

Alright, it's obviously summer time and that means reruns. So let me share with you some of my favorite t.v. shows on the air right now.

1. Scrubs - Is there a better t.v. show on right now? The writing, acting, and directing is all top notch. I found this show in syndication on Comedy Central and in one the first episode I ever saw I laughed and cried within 10 minutes of each other. Not too many shows can say that. The never-ending story of J.D. and Elliot seems to be making another return for the last season (that's the rumor I read). The entire cast is great from J.D., to Turk, to even Ted, but my favorite has to be Dr. Cox. His sense of humor is great. I think we all wish that we could say the things he says at work. Here is a clip of some of his best season one moments.
Scrubs Homepage

2. Battlestar Galactica - Ok so if Scrubs is the best comedy on right now than BSG is the best drama on right now. Seriously, the "reimagining" of the classic 70's version is so good. If you were a fan of the original you need to forget everything. Characters have changed sexes, races, and some became Cylons. It took me a half of a season to let go of what I knew and that's when I started to really enjoy it. The bad news is that this show is going off the air after season four. I see this as a good thing, you don't want to have boring scripts and "jump the shark". For those who don't know the BG story follow the link. Now this is technically a sci-fi show, but last season most episodes didn't even leave the ship. The really crappy part is that the season finale was a while ago and we still have to wait until NEXT JANUARY FOR THE CONCLUSION!!!! BTW, there is a free video on Itunes that tells the story up to season 3.
Battlestar Galactica Homepage

3. Two and a Half Men - This show has kind of jumped the shark after Candi left, but it still has its moments. The chemistry that Charlie Sheen and Jon Cryer is great. Once again, some great acting and writing going on here. Some of the stories have become more adult oriented as the show has progressed, but it is still very enjoyable. I think what's makes this show work for me is the interaction between the "does what's right brother" and the "do what I want brother". Throw in an ex-wife, grumpy maid, and a lazy son and you get a solid t.v. show.
Two and a Half Men Homepage

4. America's Funniest Homevideos (AFV) - ok this show needs no introduction. It's just a classic show. I never get tired of watching people get scared, falling off of bikes, crashing into anything...it just works. America is full of idiots so this could go on for a long time.
AFV Homepage

5. Pardon the Interuption - so this isn't technically a prime time show, it still is one of the best sports show out there. Tony Kornheiser and Michael Wilbon discuss the day's sport stories and some celebrity gossip as well. To listen to sports guys talk about American Idol is pretty funny. The nice thing is that Tony is on Monday Night Football and Wilbon now does the NBA for ABC.
PTI Homepage


Honorable Mention:

The Batman
- yes the cartoon. Listen cartoons aren't for little kids anymore. I think it started with the Batman: The Animated Series back in the 1990's. The writing was more complicated and the artwork was darker. Well this version of Batman started out rough, almost like an anime style of Batman. In season 3, we got Batgirl. In season 4, we got Robin. now as a comic book nerd this pissed me off because everyone knows Robin came into the picture first. But I digress. At the end of season 4 we saw the introduction of the Justice League. Now this has peaked my interest because Justice League and Justice League Unlimited were two of my favorite shows of all time (more on them later). So I can't say where this Batman will rank. It is getting better so I will wait and see.
The Batman Homepage

Alright so those shows are still on. Next time I will look at my favorite shows that aren't on anymore.

No comments: