Monday, June 11, 2007

Tirades of Truth: Lacuna Coil - Comalies

ok a couple weeks ago, I talked about some new classic albums (Nevermore, Into Eternity, and Killswitch Engage). Well I can't believe I missed one, actually I am sure I missed more than one, but this one is a glaring omission...

Lacuna Coil - Comalies
So where do I start? Well for those who don't know of this band, Lacuna Coil is a gothic metal band. The whole male/female vocal exchange wasn't started by Lacuna Coil, but they perfected it. Alot of people want to compare L.C. to Evanescence, but truth of the matter is that L.C. has been around longer and play traditional goth metal, not too much on the pop rock.

Alright so like I have said I always try to compare bands to Metallica, why? because they are pretty well known and it is easier to relate to them. So how can I compare a goth band to Metallica? Easy...like RTL before MOP, Lacuna Coil put out an album called Unleashed Memories. It really brought in and developed the male/female vocal dynamics. On earlier albums, they used more of the beauty and the beast approach...here they used more male clean singing. A quick note, Lacuna Coil, was never huge on the death male vocals, but the screams really went away after Unleashed Memories.

So what is Comalies like? In a word...perfection. The music is heavy...really heavy. I am talking classic head banging...not fast/thrashy, but heavy. There are no solos, but plenty of instrumental breakdowns (not metalcore breakdowns) and drum fills. One another note would have to be the "size" of the music, it feels and sounds so grand. This was the album that got me into the symphonic metal scene, although it doesn't overpower the rest of the band. The one thing I must say about this album is the singing performances by both Cristina and Andrea are so perfect. Her voice is so enchanting and intoxicating...and Andrea's is the perfect balance to it.

Song choices? All of them, this is a no filler album. All of the songs have great versus and great sing-a-long choruses. I can't praise this album enough.

samples: http://www.myspace.com/lacunacoil (Heaven's a Lie...classic a good feel for the album) & at Amazon

No comments: