Saturday, June 23, 2007

Relay for Life & a crappy realization

So today was the annual Relay for Life cancer walk in Walnut. My wife and I did a four hour shift in the middle of the day. I thought that we might walk 2 hours together then trade off the next two, but we got going and just started talking and before you knew it we only had one hour to go. It was alot of fun. We even ran into people that we hadn't seen in over 8 years...that alone makes it a great experience.

My wife raised over $300 for the event ... me = $0. Don't get me wrong I tried, but I know I have to do more next year. Speaking of next year, we might try the night walk. And we might bring our little girl out too. She will almost be two! Very hard to imagine that right now, but this year flew by so I might as well.

So I came to the conclusion over the past few weeks that I am almost destined to get cancer. My grandfather died of cancer last year, and it started with prostate cancer. And just a few weeks ago I found out my dad was diagnosed with prostate cancer. BTW, my grandfather was my mom's father, so you can see I am getting it from both sides of the family. I guess realizing this early puts things into perspective. I feel like I am becoming more aware of everyday common events and really cherishing them. I don't want to miss anything with my daughter's life and I don't want to leave my wife alone. So what am I doing? Well I am trying to eat healthier and am working out on a daily basis. I don't drink or smoke, so I guess that accounts for something. I can hope that live as long as possible...knock on wood.

So this is a very depressing post, but it's the truth. Tomorrow is promised to no one. While at UPS, a 23 year old employee died at a wedding reception of a heart problem that no one knew she had. Most of the stuff that causes drama between family & friends isn't worth it. My advice is to try to let everyone know how much they mean to you and try to live everyday like it's your last...wow that sounds almost hippie-ish.

Alright next time I will get back to music or school.

No comments: