Tuesday, March 04, 2008

That time of year again

So testing season is upon us again. When teachers are frantically trying to cram the remaining material to their students before the big tests. We start off with the CASHEE next week, then it's onto STAR testing, and some AP testing. The schedules get so messed up this time of year. Imagine having 1st period after lunch...that's right after lunch. How messed up is that?

The entire school seems to stop teaching for those 2 weeks of STAR testing. It's all about review during that time and creating a relaxing evironment.

I still don't understand why we continue to teach new material that isn't needed the next year. The students can't re-take their STAR test a month later. I said it last year, and it seems like more regular ed teachers are agreeing, regular ed classes are like AP classes. It's all about the test. And after that...what's the motivation?

1 comment:

Valerie Roberson said...

As a first year teacher, all this testing is ridiculous. My kids took the TAKS, the state mandated test.
It's just so nerve wracking for the kids. And this is the first year if they don't pass the math and English they absolutely cannot go on to 9th grade. I'm glad they did so well, but I really don't see the point of all of it...And I don't see why my job is tried to their performance.