Monday, March 03, 2008

Spotlight: In Flames - Reroute to Remain


So last week we listened to some Swedish death metal and we didn't listen to this album at all because I wanted to listen to the whole thing. Now this isn't In Flames' best album, but it defintely is in their top 3 for me. This was one of the last In Flames albums I picked up because most reviews said they went nu-metal and sounded like Korn. That right there is enough to keep me away from it. I just remember thinking one day... what the heck? and picked it up. I really was surprised how different it sounded from Clayman (which was their previous album before this one). Gone were the Iron Maiden twin guitar harmonies, in its place was a thick bass/guitar tone. And yeah there were parts that reminded me of some nu-metal and Korn. But there was no rapping and no beat box goin on here.

There were still some fast songs, in fact there are alot. But the missing harmonies I think really pissed off a lot of older fans. The harmonies were now in the vocals. For me there is absolutely no fillers on this album. I think it is the big choruses that get me. From Cloud Connected to Free Fall they are just great sing a long type choruses.

With Soundtrack to Your Escape (their follow-up) they added a little bit more of their traditional sound. And with Come Clarity, most of the nu-metal sound is all but gone. But the nice thing is that they kept the great choruses.

In Flames have a new album coming out in a few weeks...I will defintely be getting this one ASAP.

Playlist for the week:
Entire album

No comments: