Thursday, January 13, 2011

Thoughts Without Words: New Spider-Man & Captain America movie costumes

Well I wasn't going to talk about the movie designs, but then I realized that I have talked quite a bit about comic book costumes, so why not some more.

First up is the new Spider-Man suit.At first glimpse it looks ok, but then the comic book nerd in me starts to pick it apart. Where is his little red belt (which never really served a purpose)? What's up with the little designs on the gloves? Are the spider legs going all the way down to his waist? And are those web-shooters on the outside of his suit? Well at least he has web-shooters again.

The Toby Maguire Spider-Man suits were not perfect by any means. The webbing on the suit always seemed a bit much...too silvery. But other than that, they nailed it. I won't talk about the Spider-Man 3 "black suit" because well... it sucked. And if I talk about it anymore this will turn into a Venting the Anger post. It is the worst adaptation I have ever seen. Ok enough of that.

It seems like they are trying to throw a little of the Ben Reilly Spider-Man suit into the mix. And I will be honest with you, there's nothing wrong with that. It's a good design. And if you aren't going to go with the original look, you might as well try something new. But look at the new suit and Ben Reilly's. No belt, check. Web-Shooters on the outside, check (not as bad as Ben's). Spider legs go all the way down, check (although once again not as bad). If I was going to stray away from the normal Spider-Man suit I would also look at this one. Change up the funky legs and you have a winner. I think the execs want to go away from the Toby Spider-Man movies that they are willing to tweak the suit a bit to distinguish itself from those movies.


Next up, Captain America.
I have nothing bad to say about it. They do a good job of making it look realistic. I mean he was a soldier during WWII. I'm not happy about the brown helmet under his helmet, but other than that...this looks good.

I will update this as more pictures come out.

No comments: