Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Inside Four Walls: St. Patrick's Day (elementary edition)

So I don't have a funny St. Patrick's Day story, but my wife has one that definitely takes the cake.

Back when my wife first started teaching (1st grade) she worked in a less than desirable district and school. In fact, it wasn't out of character for her school to go into lock down once a week.

So it was the week of St. Patrick's Day and my wife always likes to portray the Leprechaun as a mischievous guy who hides things and messes up things trying to get his gold. So during the week, my wife always moves things around (like turning desks upside down) or will hide different items from the students. So when the kids come into the class they all get shocked and my wife blames the Leprechaun.

It just so happened the night before St. Patrick's Day, her school was broken into...including her room. So when she got at school her room was ransacked. The school wanted the teachers to get their rooms reorganized before the students showed up. She put the room back together and sprinkled some green clovers in the room and let the students in.

About an hour into the day, my wife needed to use her cd player. She was looking for it and couldn't find it. She asked her teacher next door if she had it. She kept looking for it and told the class that she couldn't find the cd player. Kids being kids they started telling her that the Leprechaun must have taken it. Of course, my wife knew it was stolen, but she couldn't say anything. The more serious she got about it being gone the more excited the students became over the fact that the Leprechaun had been to their room again.

That was almost 10 years ago and it is still my favorite story to hear my wife tell. And since it is St. Patrick's Day I will pass it onto you.

No comments: