Tuesday, February 26, 2008

What can brown do for you? Carwash

One of my students favorite things is when I talk about my time at UPS. I was a part time supervisor for 5 years there and have a ton of stories to tell. It seemed like everyday there was some kind of drama going on. It was horrible at times, but looking back it wasn't that bad. I really enjoyed everyone I worked with. So I will have a dedicated header "What can brown do for you?"

So this first story takes me to my first year as a sup. It was just after peak season (Thanksgiving to Christmas) and we were in our Wednesday morning meeting. Now when I say morning, I mean 2:30 or 3 AM depending on our start time. And all the part time sups were there from both sides of the building load-side and sort/unload, about 25 sups. Our acting building manager (because we were in between a building manager a the time) Tom was going over the numbers for our building from last year. He had a page that ranked all the Hubs on the west coast. There were like 30 or so on list and we were at the bottom of pretty much every category. Tom was telling us how we should be ashamed of the numbers and that we could do better...you know the classic speech. So it's pure silence and Tom said "well do you guys have anything to add?" No one says a word until Jordan speaks up and says "well we are #2 in the carwash." Everyone started laughing...even Tom cracked a smile. Tom then called him a smart ass and told him to shut up.

That's when I realized for all the seriousness that goes on in a multi-million dollar company, that it was still ok to have fun. I think I took that a little far sometimes, but there's time for those stories later.

No comments: