Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Thoughts Without Words: Suspended Teacher over Blogging talks

I know I gave up blogging about my class because of this woman, but I felt I should give my opinion on it, especially since she was on GMA this morning.

If she never identified any students, why are people so upset? I don't get it. Are parents upset because their kids are perfect? Look did she use a good choice of words? No, but what she said does describe a certain percentage of students at any school. I have seen girls show up with one thing, go to the bathroom change and come out looking...well more mature. Students complain all the time. They don't want to be held accountable. And you know what it does come off as whining. Sometimes when my students are asking me to re-take a test or not do work, I swear it's like I am talking to my 4 year old. They just won't take no for an answer.

The one thing that caught my attention from the above interview is when Robin Roberts said "we all know teaching teens can be a challenge, but..." I don't think most of America knows...truly knows what goes on in classrooms and in school period. I mean if a school can take a teen to get an abortion without telling a parent, what else can they hide?

I am not accusing anyone of anything here. I am simply saying, how she said certain things should have been thought of twice. But she never identified any students. This might be going out on a limb, but I am sure at one time or another a teacher has thought some of those things she said. If it makes parents become more involved in their child's education, then we all win.

No comments: