Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Inside Four Walls: Paying for CSTs

I have talked about schools paying for grades and heck I recently talked about a teacher who gives out gift cards for her advanced students. So when I read something like this today, it doesn't surprise me at all. In fact, it makes it all the more sweeter knowing that it came from a 9th grader. Now how a 9th grader gets published on the Huffington Post, I don't know. You would think it takes away from their credibility, but whatever.

Seems like this 9th grader feels that schools should give out cash rewards for students who score Advanced on their CSTs. Now I am totally against this. I have made that clear in the past, but this kid just doesn't get it. What his idea?
In 9th grade, if a student scores 550-600 on ALL their subjects, they will receive 50 dollars in cash. Only if a student receives the reward for 9th grade will they be able to get the $100 reward for 550-600 in 10th grade. Once a student receives both of those awards, only then will they be eligible for the $150 reward for 550-600 in 11th grade. Then, if a student manages to get 550-600 again in 12th grade, they shall receive 150 dollars in addition to a certificate stating their hard work and dedication throughout the years, greatly improving their chances of being accepted into a famous college.
What an idiot. Sorry if that hurts anyone's feelings, but this is wrong on so many levels. First, to get over a 550 on a CST is pretty tough. Maybe it's because I teach math, but I rarely see it. Don't get me wrong, I get advanced, but even my smartest students never sniff a 550. And to get 550+ for 3 straight years in ALL subjects? Impossible for most of the students in CA. I would actually want to see this done just to see how much money is given out. If they did this, I would update this post with a The Last Laugh one on no one made any money because it's impossible!!!

Secondly, this just shows he is a freshman because he mentions scoring 550-600 as 12th graders, well sorry to burst your bubble, but seniors don't take the CSTs. Great job on checking the facts buddy.

All joking aside, this is what's wrong with our country. Kids are putting their hands out first saying "gimmie first, then I'll do it." Where does that come from? How realistic is that way of thinking? This country is looking worse and worse.

Now back to our little writer. Something else caught my eye as I was reading the post
The money being used as reward may seem a lot initially, because the population of California is relatively huge. However, we must think about the positive effects. When a student becomes educated, they will become an asset to our state, to our country. They will want to get a job with a high salary. Later, they will be taxed, meaning profit for our state. Of course, the more educated one is, the more likely it is that one will get a better job. In addition, if we consider the dreams of every person, one of those dreams is to buy a house. In order to buy a house, one would need money.
Talk about a liberal in training. Person wants to make more money, which is ok because we can tax the person more and make more PROFIT for our state. WHAT THE?!?!?!?! States aren't businesses that should be showing profit. They should run a balanced budget, which means what comes in, is the same that goes out and vice versa.

No comments: