Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Free Speech for the Dumb: BP executives

I let the first one sort of slip by, but after the second "foot in mouth" incident, I couldn't resist.

Obviously, everyone knows about the oil spill in the gulf. Well a couple weeks back British Petroleum CEO Tony Hayward really knew how to let everyone know how sorry he was and how he could sympathize with the people of the gulf coast when he said;

"We’re sorry for the massive disruption it’s caused their lives. There’s no one who wants this over more than I do. I would like my life back."

Nice huh? His rig is putting hundreds if not thousands of people out of work due to the effects of the spill, yet he would like his life back.

So when it was time for the next big "I'm sorry speech" BP put forth BP Chairman Carl-Henric Svanberg to reassure everyone that BP is behind them. I mean he cares about everyone...right?

"I hear comments sometimes that large oil companies are greedy companies or don't care, but that is not the case with BP. We care about the small people."

Really? You couldn't have someone check those comments first? The people of the gulf already think there is a conspiracy going on and you just added some fuel to the fire. Good one BP.

No comments: