Friday, August 03, 2007

Dark Days

ok so in the mid 90's metal was all but dead. Grunge came around in the early 90's killing off all of the glam metal and whatever other forms of metal were popular at the time. In fact, grunge was the downfall of Headbanger's Ball. Grunge wasn't bad, don't get me wrong I don't like it...maybe a song here or there, but grunge was depressing and they took out all of the solos!!!

So after grunge died out something worse took it's place...nu-metal. So what's nu-metal? Well imagine down tuned guitars, heavy bass lines (almost to the extent of the bass taking over as lead guitar), drum beats, sometimes a d.j., and worst of all rapping. Now Korn was the first big nu-metal band, but they found a band that would change the landscape of metal music for the rest of the decade...Limp Bizkit. I absolutely hated this band back when they were huge. Everything Fred Durst did was annoying and to top it off everyone wore stupid red hats backwards (you know who you are). Looking back I still think the music is childish (see Nookie) and simple, but I will say it's catchy.
Break Stuff was my first real introduction to L.B., I remember seeing Faith and thinking it sucked, but Break Stuff was catchy and heavy. Still a favorite to this day.
Adblock


Rollin' was their next song that stuck with me...and still does. It's a fun song and once again HEAVY.
Adblock


When I first heard Boiler I was very surprised. It wasn't a catchy kid song, but an actual song. Lyrically though "crawled up your butt now"...ouch that's bad writing. When I play this song, most people can't recognize it as L.B.
Adblock


So after Chocolate Starfish, Wes (the guitarist) left the band saying he felt like a sell out. Now because of those words Wes is always looked on now as the "musician" of Limp Bizkit. I don't have a problem with Wes, but he knew what he was doing...plus that man can play a mean guitar riff. So Fred replaced him with some guy and released an album with him...it sucked. They tried the whole serious artist thing, but it didn't work. Fans wanted Wes back.

In 2005 Limp Bizkit released The Unquestionable Truth Part 1. Now this is one L.B. album I tell people I own. The music isn't childish, but it is heavy. I saw the video for The Truth and was blown away by how good it was. Now Fred tries really hard to copy Rage Against the Machine and that's ok by me.
Adblock


Unfortunately, Wes left again and no one knows who is playing guitar now. There are rumors swirling that TUT part 2 will be released this year and a website thepollution.net has a song that could be from the new album. It sounds good. But what if this is the new guitarist?

No comments: