Friday, July 06, 2007

honesty...

well 1st semester is about 6 hours from being completed. I still feel that everyone is going to pass 1st semester, but who knows about 2nd...it's a different beast.

so I was thinking yesterday about how much better everything would be if people were just more honest. Seriously, I had to wait 2 1/2 hours for an oil change at the dealer yesterday. He could have told me they were backed up or something. When I went back after an hour and a half he told me that it would take 20 more minutes...he must have forgotten the 40 minutes on top of that.

Somewhere in this world we live in we changed to a society that doesn't want to hear the truth. Why? When talking with students, they get offended and sad when you tell them material is difficult or that if they don't master a concept they will fail. Well I can't say that because it hurts their self esteem and they feel defeated. Why not take it as..."hey I gotta do this to pass".

At UPS no one was honest. Whether it was lying about downtime or how much was left in the back...everyday a lie. And it was just accepted as the norm. Then when I was looking for a promotion no one would be honest as to tell me why I wasn't getting a serious look. For 4 years I got so many different excuses. It wasn't until my last week that I found out why...I was too honest with everyone. They didn't want to hear the truth...no I'm serious.

Honesty...I have always felt that being honest is the way to go. And I have decided that I will keep being honest with everyone despite the consequences.

No comments: