Saturday, September 18, 2010

Inside Four Walls: Talking behind my back...

So while some parts of my job are a little hectic, I still find ways to enjoy myself at work.

The other day I was walking through campus after school. I noticed a freshman student and her friends. As I got closer, they all huddled up and I saw one of her friends stick her head up and look right at me then go back to the huddle. I had my sunglasses on, so I pretended not to notice. I knew she was talking about me and honestly it doesn't bother me. Students say bad things about me all the time...remember Rate My Teachers?

The next day in class, I called her on it. She said "I wasn't talking about you...I promise." I told her it was ok, people do it all the time, just don't look so obvious next time. Then she said, "well I didn't say anything bad about you." The class laughs a little and I repeat myself. She then starts telling us what was "said". I stop her and tell her to relax.

So when I finish my lesson, I do the whole Checking for Understanding thing and ask for any questions. The student raises her hand and says she has a question. I couldn't resist. I looked at her and said hang on.

So I turn around and stare at the board. About 15 seconds later, she says "Mr. W can you turn around?" I look over my shoulder and said, "Oh I'm sorry, I thought you were more comfortable talking behind my back." Of course that got a good laugh. By the way, I did answer her question...facing her.

No comments: