Thursday, September 13, 2007

Spotlight: Into Eternity

Ok so I figure once a week I will take some time to talk about the band or genre that I am playing in my room for the week. This week is one of my favorite bands of all time... Into Eternity. Into Eternity is a Canadian band that play a variety of metal, I talked about them awhile ago here. One moment it is pure death, then power, and then throw in some progressive time/tempo changes. On top of all that you have a vocalist that goes from death to clean in a second. In fact before their current vocalist, they used 3 different vocalists; a screamer, death growls, and clean. The harmonies they created on the records was amazing, but apparently it didn't translate as well live so they went this way.

Adblock


I have been listening to metal for some time now and have never found another band that plays the same style of music...with the vocals like this. Mercenary has the dual vocalists, but doesn't have the time/tempo changes like IE. 3 Inches of Blood has the two vocalists as well, but they play more of an old school power metal/thrash. Into Eternity is a unique band that so far hasn't fallen prey to copycats.

Adblock


Now on the spotlight I will either rank the albums from the artist or give top choices for the genre. Into Eternity has released 4 albums, with their debut suffering big time from a lack of production. I read a few years ago they were going to remaster it, but nothing so far.

1. Buried in Oblivion: their 3rd album, still my favorite. 3 vocalists, great song writing (especially the last 3 songs...talk about a roller coaster ending). No filler on this album...highly recommended.

2. The Scattering of Ashes: this is their latest album. Shorter songs, one vocalist [trust me he does the job well], the drumming is faster as well. I miss the vocal harmonies and the twists and turns of Buried in Oblivion. Still a solid album, some say it's better...but who knows right?

3. Dead or Dreaming: second album. They really started to shine on this one. I have nothing bad ot say about this album... it's just that the others are better. The first 4 songs are classics though.

4. Into Eternity: I have heard this thing like 2 times...really bad production stops this from being better. I hope they remaster it.

Adblock


The playlist for the week;
Monday: Shallow, Distant Pale Future from Dead or Dreaming
Tuesday: Embraced by Desolation, 3 Dimensional Aperture from Buried in Oblivion
Wednesday: Spiralling into Depression, Beginning of the End from Buried in Oblivion
Thursday: Timeless Winter, Surrounded by Night from The Scattering of Ashes
Friday: Severe Emotional Distress, Nothing from The Scattering of Ashes

No comments: