Friday, September 21, 2007

Thoughts Without Words: Rachel's Challenge

so yesterday we had an assembly about the Columbine shootings. At first, I thought it might be one of those "feel sorry for the shooters because they were picked on" assemblies, but it wasn't. It was without a doubt the best assembly/presentation I have been to.

It was based upon Rachel Scott, who was the first victim of the Columbine High Shootings, and her journals and writings about how to treat people better. She appeared to be the kind of person that actually did what she said. She would help out and do anything for someone. I was moved when I saw video of her as a baby because I couldn't help but think about my daughter. Rachel was only 17 years old...that's just too young to die. I can't imagine losing my daughter...the mere thought of it makes me sad.

Rachel's Challenge takes her writing and ideas and spreads them around the country to other schools. Her ideas are simple, but powerful
1. Eliminate Prejudice
2. Dare to Dream
3. Choose your influences
4. Kind words
5. Start a chain reaction with family and friends

She was a special person and I feel for her family and friends.

For more information go to Rachel's Challenge.

No comments: