Friday, February 22, 2008

Spotlight: Swedish Death Metal

So after a week from hell, we finally get back to some music. So how did I get into SDM? I really can't remember. I think it was after listening to some Shadows Fall, I was ok with the death vocals. So I read about In Flames touring with someone...can't remember, and I decided to pick up an album. The album I picked out(Clayman) was probably their best album ever... or a close 2nd. Why? Because of the album cover....cool huh?
Adblock

Some great songs on this album. In fact, I would go ahead and say there are no fillers on this thing. It's that good. After I got this album, I checked out their others and they are all good albums. I picked up Reroute to Remain last because I read that it was a nu-metal album. Now we will be listening to that album next week, so I will get to that later.
Adblock

In Flames is releasing a new album this year, A Sense of Purpose. Come Clarity was a great album, better than Soundtrack to Your Escape so expectations are high. Seriously, just watch the video for the first song on the album Take this Life. Fast drums, tight guitar playing, and a catchy chorus. What else could you ask for in a song, right?
Adblock

If you like In Flames, Soilwork is a natural fit as well. The two bands are pretty identical except Soilwork uses more keyboards and super clean/catchy choruses. I got into them from A Predator's Portrait on. All the albums are pretty similar, which can be a bad thing, but not if it is done right. And Soilwork does it right. Sworn to a Great Divide came out at the end of last year and I haven't had a lot of time to check it out...unfortunately.
Adblock

For me Swedish death metal is different than Gothenburg metal because of the use of keyboards. Some say a band like At the Gates or The Haunted play the same style of music as In Flames...uhhh no they don't.
Adblock


Adblock


Playlist for the week:
Monday(last week): Warpath, Fearless from Virus by Hypocrisy
Tues./Wed.: Take This Life, Dead End, Vacuum from Come Clarity by In Flames
Thursday: The Flameout, Nerve from Natural Born Chaos & Stabbing the Drama by Soilwork
Friday: My Sweet Shadow, Only for the Weak, Touch of Red from Come Clarity, Clayman, and Soundtrack to Your Escape by In Flames.

No comments: