Saturday, February 02, 2008

Good ole 90's

Well a little change musically this week. Some 90's alternative music. BTW, what is alternative? I mean can it be alternative if it is mainstream? Who knows. After the whole grunge scene started to die down these alternative/college bands started popping up. Bands like Smashing Pumpkins, Live, Crash Test Dummies, etc. became super popular. Now I am a metal fan at heart, but I know catchy music when I hear it.

Smashing Pumpkins Today was a solid dong with a nice distorted guitar sound to it that caught my attention. Live had some pretty hard hitting songs as well. So for me a metal fan, liking these bands wasn't a far stretch.

We started off with some Red Hot Chili Peppers. Now they really aren't alternative, but they really caught on during the same time. Blood Sugar Sex Magik really put them to the front of the music scene. And they really haven't faded away since then.
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Under the Bridge

Adblock

Red Hot Chili Peppers - Breaking the Girl

Adblock

Red Hot Chili Peppers - Warped

Adblock

BTW, despite what fans think I am a huge fan of Warped and the entire One Hot Minute album. Dave Navarro plays guitar instead of John Frusciante. Different style, but still solid.

Next up we have some Smashing Pumpkins. A love all of their singles. I highly recommend picking up their greatest hits album. Has them all...perfect for the casual fan like myself. The best thing about the Pumpkins was that you had the super heavy songs like Bullet with Butterfly Wings, but then you had the epic feel of Tonight, Tonight. Very nice. Let me also add that their videos are some of the best ever. Do yourself a favor and check them out.
Smashing Pumpkins - Tonight, Tonight

Adblock

Smashing Pumpkins - Stand Inside Your Love
Adblock



Finally, Live. What can I say? A great hard rock band. If you haven't heard Throwing Copper...do it, go get it. Classic album my friends. They are most famous for their song, Lightning Crashes, but this album has more than that. Check it out.
Live - I Alone
Adblock


Live - All Over You
Adblock


Live - Lightning Crashes
Adblock


Playlist for the week;
Monday: Under the Bridge, Breaking the Girl by Red Hot Chili Peppers from Blood Sugar Sex Magik.
Tuesday: Warped, Give it Away, Higher Ground by Red Hot Chili Peppers from Greatest Hits.
Thursday: Tonight, Tonight; Stand Inside Your Love by Smashing Pumpkins from Rotten Apples (greatest hits album).
Friday: I Alone, All Over You, Lightning Crashes by Live from Throwing Copper.

No comments: